Legal Sports Betting in 2021
A lot in the United States is changing after the repeal of the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) by the Supreme Court. Use this page as a state-by-state overview to understand the development of the sports betting industry and find sportsbooks in your state.
- Get free bets worth $100, $150, or $250Only Available to Customers in CO, IL, IA, IN, and NJ. 21+ Only. Deposit Tier Terms and Conditions: "Deposit bonus paid out in free bets of $100, $150, or $250. Free bets will be credited within 60 minutes of making a qualifying deposit. Free bets expire 14 days after being issued. Free bets can only be used on fixed odds markets. First deposit bonus is non-transferable. You are eligible for one (1) bonus per person, Account, household, residence, address (but not a PO Box or business address), internet connection (for example IP address), computer, mobile device and payment method (for example, a specific credit card or bank account.) To be eligible for the deposit bonus you must make the minimum cash qualifying deposit that matches the corresponding tier. Full T&Cs
- Up to $500 Risk-Free BetNew Patrons of WynnBET who place their First Deposit of not less than $20 in cash and place an eligible Sports Wager within ten (10) days after making the qualifying deposit during the Promotional Period are eligible to receive a Risk Free* First Sports Bet up to a maximum of $500 as a free bet (the “Risk Free* First Sports Bet”). Full T&Cs apply, 21+. Full T&Cs
- SIGN UP BONUS UP TO $1,000* AWARDED AS RISK-FREE BET + DEPOSIT BONUS!The websites listed below need to be updated to include the terms for the $1,000 Deposit Bonus (not the $1,000 Sign Up Bonus), inclusive of TN. Up to date terms: If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), or call or text the TN REDLINE: 800-889-9789 (TN). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL/TN only. Min. $5 deposit required. Deposit bonus requires 25x play-thru. Deposit bonus issued as site credits. Eligibility restrictions apply. See draftkings.com/sportsbook for details. Full T&Cs
- Risk-free bet up to $1000The Promotion is only open to individuals who are at least 21 years of age and physically present in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Colorado, West Virginia, Tennessee or Iowa during the Promotion Period. To claim, new users need to register, make a first deposit, and then simply place their first real-money wager on FanDuel Sportsbook up to $1000! If a user loses their first wager, Fanduel will refund their loses in the form of a free-bet up to $1000! Full T&Cs
- Open Account OfferUp to $100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365. Make a qualifying deposit (min $10), place bets to deposit value, once they are settled, matched amount in Bet Credits available to use. Bet Credits risk excluded from returns. T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs
- Get $100 When You Bet $20NJ players, 21+.The Borgata Welcome Offer gives you the possibility to claim free bets. You must deposit a minimum of $20 into your account and place, as your first real money bet after opening your account, a wager of at least $20 on any sport. This Sports Promotion is only eligible on your very first wager on Borgata Sports. Minimum odds for each Qualifying Bet are -200 odds or greater (-200, -150, +150, +200, etc.). Full T&Cs apply 21+. Full T&Cs
- First Bet Matched Up To $250New Customers in NJ! Promotion runs beginning 8/13/19. This offer is valid only for your first cash sports bet only. Amount of Free Bet awarded is equal to 100% of your first cash sports bet amount up to $250. Wagering requirements on this Free Bet are 1x. 21+. Full T&C Apply. Full T&Cs
There was a federal ban on sports betting in the United States from 1992 to 2018 under the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA). The 1992 law granted immunity to four states that had previously allowed sports betting inside their borders. Those states are Nevada, Delaware, Oregon, and Montana. The state of New Jersey challenged the legality of PASPA. The Supreme Court heard oral arguments in late 2017. On May 14, SCOTUS issued a decision reversing the ban, striking down PASPA in full by a vote of 6-3.
Thanks to the decision, the following states can now offer legal sports betting, once they create and approve regulations, that is: New Jersey – Launched June 14, Mississippi – Launched Aug. 1, West Virginia – Launched Aug. 30, Pennsylvania (established temporary regulations in June 2018), and Rhode Island – Launched Sept. 2019. Delaware was actually the first to the expanded market launching June 5, 2018. The state used its existing sports betting law on the books, established single-game wagering regulations, and began taking bets on June 5, 2018. New Jersey signed its law into effect on June 11. On June 14, New Jersey officially started accepting wagers. Mississippi was next to launch, taking bets effective Aug. 1.
Online Sports Betting Sites in the United States
Legal US online sports betting is now available and fully regulated in a number of other states. This means that for citizens inside those states there is the possibility to wager on sports events. In most cases that person does not need to be a citizen of that state–or even reside there–but just be physically within its borders at the time.
Betting sites and online bookmakers have been able to sign up new customers using promotions and bonuses. They also offer markets on all the big events. The sports betting sites look to annual peaks, like NFL Draft betting, to attract new players.
The number of legal US online sports betting sites will only grow as more states introduce the necessary regulations. But you should keep a close eye on the legality in each state–especially where you live.
As mentioned, some states were very quick to pass the new bills covering online sports betting. Some of these are well known for a long tradition of sports betting and it was no surprise that somewhere like New Jersey was first in line.
With globally renowned attractions like Atlantic City, there was obviously a desire for legal US online sports betting in the Garden State. Now there are a number of international sportsbooks available online as well as their physical versions at the casinos on the Boardwalk.
Pennsylvania was able to offer online sports betting just in time for the new football season in 2019. The Eagles may not be going all the way to the Super Bowl this year but the people of Pennsylvania will be able to place their bets on who does.
Another state that was interested in jumping on the sports betting bandwagon early on is Indiana. There was the potential for sports fans to place a bet in person by the beginning of the NFL season, but that changed in October when the first online sportsbooks were launched.
Check out the status of legal online sports betting in your state:
Sports betting is projected to become legal in 2022. For now, players may bet on greyhound and horse racing at several tracks in the state.
Horse and dog racing is permitted online but general sports wagering is projected to be regulated by 2022.
Sports betting is projected to be regulated in 2021. For now, players may bet on greyhound and horse racing at several tracks and other licensed locations in the state.
Online horse race betting is permitted but general sports wagering isn’t projected to become regulated until 2022.
Sports betting is predicted to be regulated in 2021. For now, players can enjoy live and off-track betting on horse racing events.
Online horse race wagering is permitted but sports betting is predicted to be regulated in 2019.
Sports betting is likely to become regulated after 2022. The state also prohibits betting of any kind on horse or greyhound racing.
Wagering on horses can be done today, however, sports betting is projected to be regulated after 2022.
Wagering on sports is projected to become legal in 2019 but horse race betting is allowed today.
Horse racing bets can be currently made and, by 2022, sports wagering is expected to be legal here.
Horse racing online is available now, though wagering on sports is supposed to be regulated after 2022.
Lawmakers are projected to pass sports betting legislation after 2022. Online horse race betting is permitted currently, however.
A bill was proposed in Jan. 2019 to legalize online sports betting and making legal bets on sports is likely to start in 2021. However, one can bet on horses online today.
Online betting on sports was legalized in December 2019. Betting on horses has already been allowed.
Wagering on sports is projected to be legal here in 2021. Although horse race betting is allowed currently.
Regulated sports betting already exists since 2018. More online sports betting legislation is expected soon.
Wagering on horse races is allowed now. After 2022, sports wagering is likely to become legal.
Physical sportsbooks have been here for a long time. The transition to online sports betting is underway.
Betting on sports is expected after 2022 in this state. Participate in horse race betting now.
An active market of online sportsbooks exists in the state of New Jersey. Find out the specific rules and regulations in addition to where you can make bets on odds online.
New laws could allow limited sports betting by 2020, most likely. Betting on horses is currently regulated.
In 2019 sports betting is expected to be regulated, though horse race betting is permitted now.
Sports betting should be addressed by regulators in 2022. Horse racing is already available.
Though horse race betting is permitted currently, full sports betting is not expected to occur here.