West Virginia Online Sports Betting 2021Commercial Content | 21+ | T&Cs Apply
West Virginia sports betting officially launched in August 2018, becoming the fifth state in the US to do so. Find some of the platforms you can bet on below:
- Risk-free bet up to $1000The Promotion is only open to individuals who are at least 21 years of age and physically present in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Colorado, West Virginia, Tennessee or Iowa during the Promotion Period. To claim, new users need to register, make a first deposit, and then simply place their first real-money wager on FanDuel Sportsbook up to $1000! If a user loses their first wager, Fanduel will refund their loses in the form of a free-bet up to $1000! Full T&C Apply. Visit site
- Get A $500 Risk Free BetIf you lose your first bet, earn a Free Bet in equal value up to $500 A Free Bet must be used by the Participant within seven (7) calendar days from the date it is awarded or that Free Bet will expire. Free Bet redemption is subject to William Hill House Rules and governed by William Hill General Terms of Service. Visit site
- Bet on the Daytona 500 race.
- See some tips for Indy 500 betting.
- Wager with a Borgata bonus code (or play casino at the same place).
Despite being one of the first states to offer sports betting, West Virginia has not seen the tremendous growth that other states have.
West Virginia online sports betting is available along with retail betting options, and it is the mobile apps that bring in the most action. There is a limited number of options in West Virginia, and that number is not expected to grow much in the coming years.
The WV sports betting industry does have some of the biggest names in sports betting, offering a mobile app, and there is plenty of competition between operators. The lack of a strong professional sports presence in the state has made growth and expansion difficult in the Mountaineer State.
West Virginia Sportsbooks
Both retail and West Virginia online sports betting is available in the Mountaineer State, but the options are a bit limited. As of January 2021, there are just five retail sports betting options to go along with three mobile betting apps.
The casino properties in West Virginia are authorized to offer retail sports betting, and it is available at the following locations:
- The Greenbrier
- Hollywood Casino
- Mountaineer Casino
- Mardi Gras Casino
- Wheeling Island
Even though there are currently just three online sports betting options in West Virginia, they are three of the biggest names in sports betting. BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel have all launched in WV, and they all offer a sports betting app.
William Hill is expected to launch in West Virginia as well, but an official launch date has not yet been announced.
Remote registration is an option for WV online sports betting, and visiting a casino is not needed to complete the signup process.
WV Sports Betting Rules
West Virginia sports betting is extremely progressive when it comes to the rules that help govern the industry. Even though this is not one of the biggest markets in the US, bettors in the state have plenty of betting markets available.
Professional, international, and collegiate sporting events can all be offered by sportsbooks. Some states have placed restrictions on betting on college sports, but that is not the case in WV sports betting.
Sportsbooks in WV can also offer betting on esports as long as it can be verified that the participants are all over the age of 18.
Discover other states' online sports betting markets
- Find more out about a PointsBet promo code.
WV Sports Betting Regulations
The first sports betting bill in West Virginia was introduced by Delegate Shawn Fluharty in March 2017. H 2751 would have changed the state constitution to allow sports betting at the five casinos in the state of West Virginia.
That bill did not gain enough support from other lawmakers to be taken to an official vote, but the state did establish a commission to study the advantages of legalizing sports betting.
In 2018, there were three different WV sports betting bills that were introduced, and it was the one that was requested by the Lottery Commission that eventually passed. S 145 included a number of regulations to guide the sports betting industry, and it officially became law in March as Governor Jim Justice allowed it to pass without his signature.
The West Virginia Lottery Commission has been tasked with overseeing and regulating the WV sports betting industry.
West Virginia was one of the states pushing to repeal the PASPA, and state lawmakers were ready to legalize sports betting quickly after this was done. WV sports betting launched in 2018, and WV online sports betting came just one year later.
Betting can be done on one of the sports betting apps available in the state or at one of the five retail locations. Retail sports betting is offered at five casinos spread throughout the state.
West Virginia is not set to become a huge factor in the US sports betting industry, but there are plenty of options for residents or visitors of the state. The WV sports betting market has gone through some interesting stretches since launching in 2018, but things are well established at this time.