The Cheltenham Festival is an annual festival at the Cheltenham Racecourse in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire that takes place in March, usually around or over St. Patrick’s Day. Hundreds of millions of pounds are places on bets during Cheltenham Festival Week. While it is a UK event, many Americans want to be a part of the Cheltenham betting scene.
Cheltenham Betting with BetAmerica
|Date||BetAmerica Bonus Offers|
|March 11th – 15th||Bet Back for 2nd All Month!|
|March 13th||VIP Daymaker|
|March 18th – 22nd||Bet Back for 2nd All Month!|
|March 20th||VIP Daymaker|
|March 25th – 29th||Bet Back for 2nd All Month!|
|March 27th||VIP Daymaker|
|All Days: 100% Deposit Bonus||New Members Receive a 100% bonus on their first deposit up to $100|
|Last verified:||Sep 18, 2019|
- Cheltenham Betting with BetAmerica
- BetAmerica Leads the Race
- Wager Rewards, BetAmerica’s Customer Rewards Program
- What Does ‘Bet Back for 2nd All Month’ Mean?
- VIP Daymaker
- Cheltenham Festival, Background
- Cheltenham Betting, At a Glance
- Day 1: Tuesday, March 12th, 2019
- Day 2: Wednesday, March 13th, 2019
- Day 3: Thursday, March 14th, 2019
- Day 4: Friday, March 15th, 2019
- Cheltenham Festival, Full Schedule
- Cheltenham Betting: Placing Bets
- More Horse Race Betting Guides
BetAmerica Leads the Race
First, I must admit that I found the BetAmerica website a little hard to navigate. The main page opens up to a page asking for you to pick between “Take me to” Horse Racing and “Take me to” Sportsbook. Also, it does say there is a New Players 100% Deposit Match offer, which is something to note for any Cheltenham betting you have been looking forward to.
Next, I clicked on Horse Racing. I was then taken to their main horse racing page. There once again prominently displayed was the new player offer from before. This is my first step whenever using a new site, to check out the offers for the new players. Of course, I always want to make sure I get the best deal when signing up.
Luckily, there was a prominently displayed Promos tab, which I promptly clicked on to see the current promotions available. Also, I made sure to check if there are any specific Cheltenham betting offers. I was taken to a “Promotions Calendar.” But also, the page began by mentioning the 100% bonus on your first deposit up to $100 promotion. Above, see the list of available promotions.
Interestingly, I did not understand the promotions as states. So, if you are a betting novice like me, you’re going to need a little more detail to understand what these promotions mean and to see if they can apply to any Cheltenham betting that’s on your agenda.
Wager Rewards, BetAmerica’s Customer Rewards Program
First, it’s always best to sign up for a customer rewards program when it is offered. That way, you earn points for every purchase. To find out about BetAmerica’s Wager Rewards Program, click on the Wager Rewards tab on the right-hand side of the Promotions page. There, you will see the official page for BetAmerica’s New Wager Rewards. At the top of the page, offers are touted such as 20% more points on exotics, 10% more points on multis, and 100% every wager earns points. Everyone qualifies immediately for the Wager Rewards program and it is open to each and every customer. Place your bets as you typically would. When the race is official, you will earn points for every bet. On every track!
BetAmerica Wage Rewards Basics
- Earn “Wager Rewards”: For every wager on every track
- Points are posted for “Wager Rewards” immediately after the result is declared official
- Points can be used immediately after for future bets or spent in the shop
- Single race exotics, which means exactas, trifectas, superfectas, and Hi-5s have their points boosted by 20%
- Multi-race bets such as Daily Double through Pick 6, are boosted by 10%
Note: Typically, you will earn one point for each dollar wagered, however, there are some reductions.
When you sign up, your reward level will be 1.0. If your reward level is higher than that, you will earn at that rate. For example, if your rate is 2.0, you earn at a rate double the base rate.
Unfortunately, not all customers will be rewarded at the same level because of local fees in some states. The below list is the states that have a maximum effective rewards % on all wagers (including promotions):
- California, 1% maximum reward rate
- Arkansas, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, Washington: 4% maximum reward rate
These maximum rates apply to all wager reward activity, even promos.
What Does ‘Bet Back for 2nd All Month’ Mean?
The website explains it like this: you can get your bet back for 2nd all month at select tracks.
How to Qualify:
- Place at least a $50 bet at the promotional track each day to qualify.
- You must bet a $5 win bet on the horse of your choice
- But only your 1st $5 win wager will count as your contest wager
- If your horse runs 2nd, you’ll get a refund on your bet
This only applies to the following promotional tracks on the following days:
- Mondays: Australia (All)
- Tuesdays: Mahoning Valley
- Wednesdays: Delta Downs
- Thursdays: Fair Grounds
- Fridays: Tampa Bay Downs
The VIP Daymaker was more confusing for me to understand. To the best of my understanding, the promotion is based on the odds for specific events that are occurring the days the promo is active.
Sadly for us, it doesn’t look like the Cheltenham picks are part of the VIP Daymaker promotion.
Cheltenham Festival, Background
The Cheltenham festival is held in the United Kingdom. In its infancy, it was a two-day event. It has grown to a four-day event after many race additions. The prize money awarded is second only to the Grand National.
It is relatively rare during the rest of the season to see the best British and Irish trained horses race together, which is one of the best aspects of the Cheltenham Festival. And, it typically takes place on or near St. Patrick’s Day, making it especially popular among the Irish audience and participants.
A fun fact, Cheltenham is known for its fun and exuberant atmosphere, which culminates in the “Cheltenham Roar.” “The Cheltenham Roar” refers to the raucous amount of noise that the crowd makes as the starter raises the tape for the beginning of the first race for the festival.
However, the festival is not without its problems. Six horses died in 2018, leading to a British Horseracing Authority review into the safety of the horses. 17 recommendations on equine safety were made for how to make the festival better for this year.
It is a good idea to look at the past winners to help you with your Cheltenham betting. The trainer who trains the most winners in the races over 4 days, also known as the leading trainer, for the past two years has been Gordon Elliot. It is also important to keep in mind though that from 2013 – 2016 it was Willie Mullins, who also took home that honor in 2011.
As in is most years, the event will most likely wind up being one of the biggest betting events of the year. Including all races Grade I to Grade III, there will be 28.
Cheltenham Betting, At a Glance
The following schedule for the Cheltenham Festival is listed on BetAmerica:
- Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 | 10:30 AM ET
- Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 -| 10:30 AM ET
- Thursday, March 14th, 2019 | 10:30 AM ET
- Friday, March 15th, 2019 | 10:30 AM ET
A star next to “UK – Cheltenham” lets you know that it is a bonus track.
A basic schedule to help you make your Cheltenham picks for all 4 days is offered below:
Day 1: Tuesday, March 12th, 2019
- Novices’ Hurdle
- Stan James Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy
- Racing Post Ankle Challenge Trophy
- Mares’ Hurdle
Day 2: Wednesday, March 13th, 2019
- 2019 Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Novices’ Hurdle
- RSA Steeple Chase
- Weatherbys Champion Bumper
Day 3: Thursday, March 14th, 2019
(Also Saint Patrick’s Thursday, a great day to make some Cheltenham picks)
- JLT Novices’ Steeple Chase,
- The Ryanair Chase,
- The St. Patrick Derby
Day 4: Friday, March 15th, 2019
Gold Cup Day
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- The Triumph Hurdle
- The Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle
Now, I searched the website endlessly for any Cheltenham betting offers. Eventually, I started a live chat with one of BetAmerica’s online chat agents and asked her for any specific Cheltenham betting information.
I was looking for Cheltenham betting offers, Cheltenham Free Bets, or any Cheltenham picks. At the time of this writing, I was told that information was not yet available. However, customer support said it will be when we get closer to the festival.
Cheltenham Festival, Full Schedule
Date: Tuesday, March 12th, 2019
- 10:30 AM ET | Supreme Novices’ Hurdle
- 11:10 AM ET | Racing Post Ankle Challenge Trophy Steeple Chase
- 11:50 AM ET | Ultima Handicap Chase
- 12:30 PM ET | Unibet Handicap Chase
- 1:10 PM ET | Mares’ Hurdle for the David Nicholson Trophy
- 1:50 PM ET | National Hunt Chase
- 2:30 PM ET | Novices’ Handicap Chase
Make sure to check in the next few hours for any Cheltenham betting offers, Cheltenham free bets, or any Cheltenham picks for the Cheltenham Festival to appear on the BetAmerica website, it should be any minute now!
Date: Wednesday, March 13th, 2019
- 10:30 AM ET | Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle
- 11:10 AM ET | The RSA Steeple Chase
- 11:50 AM ET | The Coral Cup
- 12:30 PM ET | Queen Mother Champion Steeple Chase
- 1:10 PM ET | Glenfarclas Cross Country Handicap Chase
- 1:50 PM ET | Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle
- 2:30 PM ET | Weatherbys Champion Bumper
Date: Thursday, March 14th, 2019
St. Patrick’s Thursday
- 10:30 AM ET | JLT Novices’ Steeple Chase
- 11:10 AM ET | Pertemps Final
- 11:50 AM ET | Ryanair Chase
- 12:30 PM ET | Stayers’ World Hurdle
- 1:10 PM ET | Brown Advisory and Merriebelle Stable Plate Handicap Steeple Chase
- 1:50 PM ET | Trull House Stud Mares’ Novices Hurdle
- 2:30 PM ET | Full Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Steeple Chase
Date: Friday, March 15th, 2019
Gold Cup Day
Final Day! Keep an eye out for any Cheltenham Free Bets!
- 10:30 AM ET | JCB Triumph Hurdle
- 11:10 AM | Randox Health County Handicap Hurdle
- 11:50 AM ET | Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle
- 12:30 PM ET | Cheltenham Gold Cup Steeple Chase
- 1:10 PM ET | Foxhunter Steeple Chase
- 1:50 PM ET | Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle
- 2:30 PM ET | Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Steeple Chase
14 Grade 1 races take place during the 4 days of the Cheltenham Festival. Also, each day has its own championship race.
Cheltenham Betting: Placing Bets
When you decide to place your bets with BetAmerica, sign up and make sure to look out for the promotions mentioned previously. Later today, the odds and any special promotions for the Cheltenham Festival should be posted. If not, check back in the morning tomorrow. According to the agent I spoke with, that is when odds will become available.
The BetAmerica website has a “Live Chat” option which I utilized to double check on any promotions, specifically for the Cheltenham Festival. Unfortunately, my agent could not give me the information I asked for, but she tried her best and gave me some suggestions. I definitely would recommend using this feature. However, if you’d rather speak to a person, call the phone number listed if you run into any problems.
Likewise, don’t worry if you miss a day of the Cheltenham Festival. You’ll have three other days to place your bets and take your chances! Before placing your bets, check out the BetAmerica website each day for the odds, schedule, and any Cheltenham betting offers. As mentioned, these include Cheltenham Free Bets or Cheltenham picks for the Festival.
Every day consists of its own special events, so you don’t want to miss any special promotions!
Once your bets are placed, get into the spirit by grabbing a Guinness and shouting your heart out during the Cheltenham Roar as you root for your horse of choice!